# Imagine 6 - Elixir Phoenix-powered CMS
A ground-up Elixir rewrite of [Imagine 5](https://github.com/anamba/imagine_cms) (Rails), maintaining database compatibility as much as possible, to the point that both 5 and 6 can be run side-by-side, on the same database, to make the transition as smooth as possible.
## Imagine CMS - A CMS that makes designers, developers and content editors happy
Imagine CMS is a web content management system first developed by Bigger Bird Creative, Inc. in 2006 for its clients.
Most CMSes come with a learning curve: not a big deal for daily users, but clients who only make changes once a month or so tend to forget everything by the next time they log in. Yet simpler systems don't offer enough flexibility to allow us to do what we want to do as designers and developers.
So we created a new kind of CMS, one that is easy for clients to use, stays out of our way, and provides a basic level of automation.
* Ease of Use
Pick any 5. 😀
## Key Features for Content Editors
* **Built to scale:** Designed to operate sites with thousands of pages each, with the potential to scale further. This is a CMS you won't outgrow.
* **Drafts (version control):** Pages and templates are versioned. You can undo nearly anything. Don't be afraid to experiment!
* **Edit your way:** Switch between WYSIWYG and straight HTML at any time. (NOTE: Requires [Redactor](https://imperavi.com/redactor) editor.)
* **Redirects:** You can create redirects by yourself, within the CMS.
## Key Features for Managers
* **Draft approval system:** Restrict users from publishing drafts in certain areas, requiring an approval step, grant them full access in other areas. You're in control.
## Key Features for Developers
* **Elixir:** The [Elixir](https://elixir-lang.org/) language makes it easy to build and maintain large concurrent systems.
* **Developer-friendly:** Developer joy is just as important as user joy.
Already in use in production, for sites that don't need these features yet to be ported over from Imagine 5:
* Photo galleries
* Scheduling/expiration of posts
* Page list RSS feed
* User permissions and draft approval system
* Search function
Planned features that go far beyond Imagine 5:
* Multisite capability: Easily add new (sub-)domains (each with its own layout and templates) and move pages between them
* Newsletter subscriptions: Users can subscribe to page list updates and receive daily/weekly email notifications
## Imagine 5 -> 6 Migration Notes
## Getting Help
You can get paid support and hosting for Imagine CMS straight its creators: [Bigger Bird Creative, Inc.](https://biggerbird.com)
Issues and pull requests welcome, especially related to code cleanup, testing, and documentation.
## Note re: associations
Foreign keys are intentionally not created, to allow restoration of CMS objects found to be deleted by accident (using version entries). A cleanup process (not yet created) will delete old orphaned objects at a later time, after a certain amount of time has passed.